I had a wet floor in the 2001 Toyota Camry again. Seems like every few years I need to do something about it. But I couldn’t remember what exactly I had done before. So I Googled “2001 Toyota Camry leaks” and found a very helpful post – that I had written in 2011! Gotta love it when a Google search sends you to your own blog for info. And after all, that is the point to a web log – to make public the appropriate parts of a journal. And a nice perk is that it is easily searchable.
Anyway, what is it I said to do in that post from 4 years ago? Oh yes, simply clear the drain holes at the sunroof. The primary problem is that the little drain holes get clogged with debris. And then all of the water that leaks in from around the sunroof, and there is a surprising amount that leaks in from around the seal, can’t get out the drain holes. Instead, it fills up the sunroof gutter, which unbelievably is interior to the car and just above the headliner. Therefore, when it overflows the gutter, the headliner becomes a conduit for water and it empties out at whatever happens to be the lowest point near the top of the windshield. As I wrote in the original post, this is a design flaw. A very stupid one, at that.
Okay, so I did what I had recommended then and cleaned out the debris in the drains. After disassembling the stuff screwed into the roof of the car and peeling back the headliner as I instruct in that post, I cleaned out the drain holes. I remember now that I had discovered before that the drain holes are hard to see from inside the sunroof hole when it is open. It is much easier to clean out from the back side with the headliner peeled back and with the clear tube removed. Then you can just jab in a coat hanger end and poke through the debris.
But this time, there didn’t seem to be that much needed to be cleaned. I got one side unclogged but the other side was already clear. And from what I can figure, the car was parked reasonably level at the time the floor filled up with water and if one drain was open, the water in the gutter should have drained into that open one, even if it wasn’t the one closest to where the water was coming in. So I wondered if the tube was plugged lower down. I decided to blow out the tube using compressed air. That seemed to go fine – didn’t appear to be any plugging at all. Hmmm…