Thanks again to Eogan for pointing out that this blog had been hacked with garbage search words. Unfortunately, the hack returned after I purged it. So, clearly something had gone wrong with the blog that allowed access to the files. Then, thanks to beej9, I discovered that there were spurious database errors and the RSS feed wasn’t working any more either.
The blog was still running a relatively ancient version of WordPress so I figured I’d upgrade to the latest and greatest. But just to be certain that none of the hacking would migrate to the upgraded blog, I decided to rebuild the blog entirely. That means the only thing preserved were posts, comments, and categories. All users have been deleted and links to all posts will have to be redone. (Not that I think there are that many of you with direct links to any blog posts!) All pictures were deleted and will eventually be reloaded.
Sorry for any trouble this may cause! 🙂